Thursday, February 18, 2010

It is a truth universally acknowledged...

I posted a while ago that I tackling Jane Austen's "Mansfield Park". Well, I finished it last night. Verdict: LOVE it :) The second half was lovely, particularly because Aunt Norris hardly said a word! Seriously, though, it was definitely one of my favorites of the Austen collection. I can see why, however, they have had a difficult time making a good, faithful adaptation of it. Fanny Price is lovely, I think, but she is probably one of the most introverted of all the heroines. She hardly ever says a word... everything is just thoughts! Still, I am going to rent the three versions of the book that my library has (an 80's??? one, the 1999 one, and the new 2007 one) and compare notes. Yeah for movie adaptations!
Also, I have very much indugled in Jane Austen the past few days. There is a mini-series my mom introduced to me called "Lost in Austen" that I absolutely LOVE. I watched all 3/3.5 hours last night and was very happy (much to Arek's chagrin).
Then today, to really celebrate my finishing "Mansfield Park" I sad myself down on the couch and read on eo f my favorite books "Austenland" by Shannon Hale. I can read that book just about once every other month and still be exquisitely happy from start to end. The best part, from start to finish it is only about a 3/3.5 hour read so I don't feel too guilty putting off my household chores :) All in all, Austen in amazing and I can be content to read/watch her stories all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment