Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Bingham Copper Mine

Last weekend I got off work at three and Arek and I looked at each other and asked, "What should we do this afternoon?" Our answer: drive down Bingham with my dad and two younger sisters and visit the Copper Mine. Turns out, for being "just" a big hole it was pretty cool. We watched two videos about the mine and how they make copper and learned a ton! And for a souviner we bought ourselves a postcard (we buy one for every place we visit) and a copper Christmas tree ornament. Here's some of the sites:
The mine itself. Holy cow, it is a big hole! I still find it fascinating that it can be seen from outer space! Also, the entire town that my grandma was born in is now somewhere in the middle of where the hole is
Kat and I in front of one of the trucks they use for hauling the dirt. It's looks pretty small to me...
Me and Arek in front of an actual-sized tire from one of the trucks in the picture above. The tire itself is 12.5 feet and weighs over 10,000 lbs! And the truck... it's as tall as a two-story building! Wowzers...Arek trying to "steal" the copper sheet on display... it's 99.99% pure copper. Me and my seestors by the official mine plack. It was a really fun day trip!

2 comments:

  1. Okay, what the heck?! Why did I not know you had a blog??? Lame! I'm glad I know now. You'll be seeing more of me on here. :)
    Glad things are going well for you. You're in the 30s (weeks along wise)! You're getting there! Yay! I hit 38 weeks today... baby anytime now! We'll see how it goes. Still don't quite have a name picked out. I would ask you if you have any picked, but I won't because if I REALLY like it, I might have to steal it, and that would just be rude. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Remember us? I'm so happy that I discovered your blog! You guys are having a baby- Yay! Babies are the best! I'm excited to keep checking your blog and hear your updates!

    ReplyDelete